South Australia has a strategy and action plan to transform the state's nature-based tourism sector.
The strategy, ‘Nature like nowhere else. Activating nature-based Tourism in South Australia ’, and action plan, ‘Nature like nowhere else. An action plan for the activation of South Australia’s nature-based tourism sector ’, outline the state government’s vision and actions to make South Australia a world leader in nature-based tourism, while supporting the ongoing conservation of our state’s natural and cultural heritage.
The strategy and plan also outline the state government’s commitment to work with tourism stakeholders and to encourage investment into the industry.
The strategy offers opportunities to further develop experiences that are sustainable, have potential for growth and have proven demand. These include developing:
- standout walking journeys across the landscape
- unrivaled native wildlife experiences close to Adelaide
- immersive marine wildlife experiences without equal
- cutting-edge sensory experiences that leave a lasting impression.
The action plan includes five themes:
- Lead South Australia’s nature-based tourism activation agenda.
- Support existing nature-based tourism experiences and create new ones.
- Remove red tape and barriers to investment.
- Raise awareness of South Australia’s unique appeal.
- Empower and build the capacity of community based tourism networks.
Nature-based tourism: opportunities for businesses and organisations
The $5 million Nature-based Tourism Co-investment Fund is a pilot grant program designed to assist eligible businesses and organisations to partner with the state government to deliver ecologically sensitive tourism experiences and products in South Australia.
Applications for the Nature-based tourism Co-investment Fund are now open, and will remain open until June 2022 or until funding is exhausted.