Ferries McDonald Conservation Park
Click the button below to view more information.
At around 880 hectares, Ferries McDonald Conservation Park is one of the larger Conservation Parks in the area.
The dense, predominantly mallee habitat provides a refuge for over 300 species of plants, and more than 80 species of birds. If you are lucky you may spy western grey kangaroos grazing in a neighbouring pasture, or catch a glimpse of several species of raptors floating in the sky above as they search for prey.
In spring, you can see the park alive with native orchids, flowering blossoms and all of the beautiful birds this season attracts. Encounter superb fairy-wrens, golden whistlers, rufous whistlers, yellow-rumped thornbills, mallee ringneck parrots, as well as several kinds of robin and white-browed babblers. This park is also home for the elusive and nationally endangered species, the malleefowl, which has been the subject of long-term research and monitoring in the park.
Another interesting natural feature of the park is the many sandy ridges forming part of the Murray Plains and providing evidence of its geological past, as this area was once part of the ocean bed.
Maps on your mobile
If you have a smartphone or tablet you can download the free Avenza Map app and have interactive national park maps on hand when you need them.
The app uses your device’s built-in GPS to plot your real-time location within the park onto a map. The app can be used without a network connection and without roaming charges. You can also measure area and distance, plot photos and drop placemark pins.
How to get it working on your device:
1. Download the Avenza Maps app from the app store (iOS/Android) whilst you are still in range (its free!).
2. Open up the app and click the shopping cart icon.
3. Click ‘Find’ and type the name of the national park or reserve you are looking for.
4. Click on the map you are after and install it (all our maps are free).
5. You will now find a list of your installed maps on the home page of the Avenza Maps app.
6. Use our maps through the Avenza Mapa app while in the park and never take a wrong turn again.