The Nilpena film set
Ross and Jane Fargher, who operate Nilpena Pastoral Station and the iconic Prairie Hotel at Parachilna, have supported South Australia’s film industry for many years, securing locations on their property and in the Flinders Ranges for a range of productions.
Movie stars and film crews not only provide an economic benefit to the region, but enable South Australia to feature on the main stage and contribute to Australia’s international profile. Nilpena and its surrounds are recognisable in many television commercials, television shows and films, most notably in the 2002 award-winning film Rabbit Proof Fence that follows three Aboriginal girls as they embark on a journey across the Outback. Other films and television shows that were shot in and around Nilpena include:
- Holy Smoke in 1999, starring Kate Winslet
- Serenades in 2001
- Lucky Miles in 2007
- Beautiful Kate in 2009, starring Rachel Griffiths
- Last Ride in 2009, starring Hugo Weaving
- Australia’s Next Top Model, in 2009 (season 5, episode 5)
- Home and Away in 2012 (scenes from the television series)
- Tracks in 2013
- The Rover in 2014, starring Guy Pearce and Robert Pattinson
- Operation Buffalo in 2020 (television mini-series)
- Chasing Wonders in 2020
Most recently, Zac Efron filmed scenes at Nilpena from the upcoming Stan Original Film Gold, which tells the story of the biggest gold nugget ever found and the challenging process to excavate it.
Plan your visit to Nilpena Ediacara National Park.