Part closure of Riverland and Murraylands
Published: 08 August 2022
Advice has come out that the River Murray flow will be rising to approx 50 – 55ML/day from Thursday 4th August — 22 August 2022. We currently have roads and campsites closed (refer to Map), however, this additional rise may put some additional campsites and access tracks out. The most up to date information on flow forecasts can be found here.
In the interests of public safety, the following precautions are recommended
- Don’t drive, ride or walk through flood-affected causeways or roads.
- Be aware that significant debris is being carried downstream and may pose a hazard to water-based activities
- When operating a boat on the floodplain or near inundated river banks, be aware of submerged obstacles such as trees and fence lines.
- The hazards associated with riverbank collapse still exist in some areas so be aware of the signs — such as cracked riverbanks and leaning trees and keep away from fenced or sign-posted affected areas.
- Regularly monitor river levels in your local area, and take care not to become isolated by rising water.
- Always wear a personal floatation device on the river.
- Do not jump or dive into the river when you do not know what is below the surface.
- Camp on higher ground away from the river bank.
- Supervise children at all times and do not allow them to play in or near fast-flowing river water.
- If in doubt, stay out.
- Listen and take action on any instructions from the emergency services — the SES, SA Police and the CFS.
- Tune to ABC local radio for community safety information.
Forecast high flows in the River Murray will impact on certain park tracks and campsites as they will become flooded. Additional areas may need to be closed over the next month depending on how this influences the parks. Closures may also be extended if high water persists. Campsites affected by environmental watering are not expected to open until mid-October or November 2022. Updates will be provided as the project progresses. If you have a booking, please contact the Berri Regional Office on 85952111 or email DEW.RMonlinebookings@sa.gov.au to request a refund or rebook for another time.
The following campsites are closed due to flooding: — Chowilla Game Reserve 1 – 10, 13, 15 – 18, 21, 22, 24 – 34, Little Gums. Murray River NP (Katarapko) 4 – 14, 17 – 19, 30 – 32, 33, 34, 39, 40, 45 – 49, 52, 53. A section of Lock 4 road is also closed along with the Ngak Indau Wetland Trail, Eckert Creek entrance and Log Crossing Track. Access to campsites 15 – 55 is only possible from the Katarapko Creek entrance on Katarapko Crescent, Winkie. Murray River NP (Lyrup Flats) 10, 14 – 30. Moorook Game Reserve 13 – 23. Morgan Conservation Park 14.and other River parks with the specific areas yet to be determined.
Park maps with closures: